Quiz. What space NEEDS to be uplifting and functional more than any other in the house?
We haven’t conducted a scientific poll, but we’re pretty confident that the laundry room comes out on top! Yes, the kitchen is strong competition. But kitchen activity – cooking, eating, socializing – is nearly always enjoyable on its own. The laundry room activities: not so much. (Unless you are the very rare person who finds constant sorting and folding of fabric therapeutic in some way!) Whenever you become responsible for doing your own laundry, that’s when the pleasure of doing laundry pretty much ends. Which is why we think you should LOVE your laundry room! It’s the only real chance you have to make the chore enjoyable!
So, what constitutes a stellar laundry room? A room where you’re actually happy to throw in a load, treat some stains and maybe even stay to iron a shirt?
It’s easy. An amazing laundry room needs:
- Ample Storage. Whether it be cabinets to hide supplies, shelving to artfully display detergent, or a cart to sort colors from whites, the best laundry rooms have storage space galore. Look around and see where you can add it. Baskets, bins, a hanging rod, a drying rack, ironing board hanger….all those Container Store accoutrements also help organize your tools!
- Horizontal folding space. One thing we love about the newer front loading machines is that the door location lets you place a counter on top. Perfect for resting the laundry basket or folding laundry or whatever else you need to set down. Counter space is always good.
- Color & Pattern. Take that utilitarian space and make it sing through ample use of color and pattern. Adding style gives chore-time an unexpected jolt of pleasure. Paint the walls a lively color or wallpaper the room a fun pattern. Hang some art. Put something pretty on the windows. Buy the red washer & dryer set. We know many purists want a room focused on cleaning to be white, spare, classic – almost antiseptic feeling. That colorless route works too – but we’d ask you to consider some luxurious materials (marble?) or texture (woven shades? wood floor?) worked into the design to elevate the room’s visual interest. Basically try to trick yourself into loving this room despite its mundane function.
- Functional & Stylish Lighting. Late night laundry anyone? It happens to the best of us. And what better way to see what you’re doing and give the space style than with an eye catching overhead fixture? Pass on the expected flush mount and go for a pendant!
- Machines that Look Cool. This isn’t a necessity. But it helps! If the washer and dryer have high tech features, are energy efficient and get clothes cleaner – then its a win-win.
Beyond these things, it would also be nice if the room had a utility sink for soaking items. Heck, it would be nice if you actually had a dedicated laundry room – and not just a corner of your unfinished basement! But even if you’re stuck toiling in the depths, you can still give your laundry area an upgrade. Any little bit helps. When you catch yourself whistling a happy tune while you throw in a load, you’ll thank us.